Real Phrase of German

We usually get a real phrase from native speakers.


I read a thread on the forum of SGE website, and I saw this phrase;

--------
Vermisst habe ich Marco Russ.
--------

I think this means "I miss Marco Russ" in English, right?

I checked a German dictionary but I couldn't find a sentence with the same word order of it.
But beginners of learning German can find this phrase on their textbooks or somewhere.
--------
Ich habe Dich vermisst.
--------

I don't know the differences of nuance between these two phrases, but I think the previous one is better and more natural for the current situation because a German native speaker used it in the public forum.

Ja, Japanese words also have a lot of differences of nuance depends on how word order is, what a word is used, and what kind of characters is used.

"kind of characters" means, you know, we have "kanji" "hiragana" "katakana" as our characters. Sometimes the same word has some different nuance when it is expressed by different characters. If you're interested in an example, ask me.

I'm sure every languages have the same(or similar) conditions. I think it's one of the interesting points to learn a language. :)

But, please forgive me if I would use a German word with a wrong way. I wouldn't mean it if I would do it! hehe. ;)



Anyway, I got a new expression today;
"Vermisst habe ich Marco Russ."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Elli,

"Vermisst habe ich Marco Russ." in the context of the thread you linked has the meaning of "Marco Russ was missing/abscent (during training)" like in "Marco Russ wasn't on the pitch during the training session".

"Ich habe Dich vermisst." has a more emotional/romantic meaning, like e.g. lovers would say "I have missed you".

To sum up, "Vermisst habe ich Marco Russ." would suggest that you went someplace (e.g. a fan club meeting or a Bundesliga match) and expected to see Marco Russ there, but he wasn't and so you tell a friend "I went to the Fan Club meeting/Bundesliga match and many players were there, but... vermisst habe ich Marco Russ.".

So if you want to say something like "I am missing (my darling) Marco Russ." you could say it like "Ich vermisse meinen Marco (Russ).". Us Marco without the last name to indicate a more personal relationship, like -chan or -kun instead of -san in Japanese.

elly said...

Hi, how's it going?

Danke for explaining the differences between these sentences. Oh, these are completely different. I'm about to make a big mistake..! ^^;
I can't use "Ich habe Dich vermisst." for my friends, co-workers or Marco. haha!

So, it means, "Ich vermisst [someone]" can be used to explain my sad feeling when [someone] isn't there or [someone] is going to leave for somewhere. And this phrase is ok for my friends or something like that. Do I understand rightly?

Then, you seem to know Japanese language well. :) Super!

Ciao*
Elly

Anonymous said...

I can't use "Ich habe Dich vermisst." for my friends, co-workers or Marco. haha!
Well the German language is more casual then the Japanese, so you could use the phrase with coworkers and/or friends, but not with someone you meet in person for the first time.

Do I understand rightly?
Yes, absolutely. Now you only need to set the verb into the correct tense and you will get a perfect score from me ^^
Your "Ich vermisst [someone]" would actually be "Ich vermisse [someone]" if you want to express sad feeling when [someone] isn't there or "Ich werde [someone] vermissen." if [someone] is going to leave for somewhere

Then, you seem to know Japanese language well. :) Super!
Gomen kedo boku no nihongo chotto warui.

Oh, btw, here is an interview I thought you might be interested in, it's with Marco Russ.

Regards,
gaijin

elly said...

Hi gaijin,
From your handle name, I guess you live in Japan now or lived in Japan before, right? ( Well, I don't know whether I can be allowed to call you "gaijin" or not... ^^; )

Thank you for teaching me German!! Ja, speaking about both German and English, tense makes me tense always! [it's an Oyaji-Gag, haha]
I'm sure you understand why I'm confused about tense because you know Japanese language.

German is so difficult for me, but I like the sound of it. :) I wish I could get a perfect score from you sometime in the future.

So, Thank you for letting me know the link to the interview of Marco!! Vielen Dank! I'm sooo interested in it, as you already know! ^^
I'm going to figure out it. I know I need time to do it, so It's my homework on weekend. hehe.

Alles Gute, Have a good one, mata ne! (^_^)/
Elly